Chu Li 朱理 (T. 燮臣 H. 靜齋), July 13, 1761-1819, Apr. 22, official, was a native of Ching-hsien, Anhwei. He was a son of Chu An-hang 朱安沆 (T. 希靖), but was adopted by his uncle, Chu An-huai 朱安淮 (T. 維揚). Together with his cousin, Chu Chien [q.v.] , he studied under a townsman, Hu Hsien-shêng 胡先聲 (T. 損齋), and with the latter took his chü-jên degree in 1783. Made a chin-shih with high honors in 1787, Chu Li was appointed a bachelor, and later (1790) a compiler, in the Hanlin Academy. In 1791 he was detailed as proofreader in the Ssŭ-k'u Commission (see under Chi Yün). He served as examiner of the Shun-t'ien provincial examination (1792, 1810), of the Metropolitan examination (1795), and of the Shun-t'ien military examination (1816). In 1796 he was made a prefect of Ch'u-chou, Chekiang--a post he held until he was made intendant of the Hsing-hua-ch'üan-chou-Yung-ch'un Circuit in 1802. Four years later he became provincial judge of Chekiang. In 1808 he was appointed lieutenant-governor of Shantung, and after several promotions was made governor of Kiangsu in 1812. Two years later he was recalled to Peking and made sub-chancellor of the Grand Secretariat. After filling several other appointments, he became governor of Kweichow (1816), a post he held until his death.
[ 3/1b,14/24a; 33/80/2b; Chi'ng-hsien chih (1806) 14/36a, 縣志 2/13a; Chu Chien, Hsiao-wan-chüan-chai wên kao, 24/15a.]
J. C. YANG